Currently, the new Administration Building is under construction. Now, construction in Tanzania is slightly different from what I'm used to seeing. So many more things are done using man-power rather than machine-power. For example, during the HOPAC orientation at the beginning of the year, we were all distracted by the construction workers outside... and not for the same reason one might be distracted by a construction worker in America... :)
They were putting down, 'pouring' cement for the between floors area - which I'm sure has a technical name but I don't know what that would be. Anyway, where we would have the cement truck pouring directly onto the area or through a series of tubes or pipes, these men were using buckets carried on their head to move the cement from the ground up a flight of stairs (wooden, not permanent stairs) and onto the roof where they poured it out, turned around and ran back down for their next load. I'm talking running with cement in buckets on heads here, people!
It was absolutely amazing to watch! You could tell who was really good at it. They were passing the other men as they ran, with buckets of cement on their head and maybe one hand holding on to it.
See, man-power, not machine.
Some other new construction around campus:
Picnic Bandas for students and teachers...
A new addition to the gardeners' workshop...
Starting blocks and seating at the pool!
Fun times!
:)
Wow! Sounds like honduran construction...
ReplyDelete