I am attempting to get my Tanzanian driver's license. Although I have an International Driving Permit, it needs to be renewed every year and since I'll be here longer, it makes sense to have a more permanent license.
So I'm trying to get my TZ license.
I have taken - and passed - an eye exam. Honestly, this was the thing I was most worried about! But I told the eye doctor I wear contacts and just read the smallest print I could. He signed and stamped a paper - everything here requires multiple stamps - and sent me on my way!
I turned in several passport sized photos, along with copies of my US driving license, paid for and recieved my Provisional Tanzanian Driving License. I only get a provisional because I'm an American and don't drive on the left side of the road.
>Side note about passport photos. You need them for everything here! I mailed 8 when
HOPAC first applied for my work permit, gave 4 more a few weeks ago, turned in several
for my provisional license, and was told yesterday that ... well, read on ...
Yesterday I went to the police station and spoke with the officers in charge of issuing licenses. I wasn't sure if I would need to take a driving test or if they would just give me a TZ license, since I have an International Permit.
>Side note about the permit: to get it, you just go into any AAA, show them your
US license, pay $15 and get your picture taken! Don't need to prove you can drive
on the left or anything!
At the police station yesterday, the officer seemed to be trying to discourage me from driving in Tanzania! He was saying, "It is too dangerous. The drivers here are crazy, more than crazy. Why do you want to drive in Tanzania? It is not safe. It is much worse than driving in America!" And this is the police!
I assured him that, yes, I do want to drive in Tanzania and have been driving here for two years. He seemed ok with that answer and actually didn't ask me to take the driving test. I guess I passed by having driven in Dar es Salaam before!
But then I needed passport photos. I had only brought one. What was I thinking?!?! I needed four. Another officer began explaining why I needed four but I got lost somewhere between official record and Tanzania Revenue Authority.
I just found out that they close at 3:30 so I will have to go in straight after school another day this week and try again...
:)
uggg silly details! I don't think I could make it driving on the left... its just so wierd...
ReplyDelete