... I've just been going non-stop since arriving in Dar 2 1/2 weeks ago!
I have many things running through my mind right now so this post will be a bit random...
Orientation: I've been doing orientation with my mission since arriving August 3rd so I'm now an expert on all things Tanzanian. Ok, maybe not an expert but I do know a lot. Ok, maybe I don't know a lot but I do understand the culture. Well, maybe not, but I do now know what it is that I don't know - which is a lot! hehe ...pictures coming...
HOPAC: I'm at school right now. Yesterday morning I took some pictures of the soccer camp that's happening on campus this week. Today HOPAC teachers and support staff went to Bagamoyo for a retreat/orientation/teambuilding time. It feels so good to work at a school where we pray for each student by name!
Housemates & House: This year I'll be living with Juli, grade 5 teacher, and Delicia, grade 4 teacher...pictures coming... I've been setting up a house which included buying fabric for curtains and having them made by a fundi. Fundi means 'expert' but that's not always exactly true. :) Anything goes wrong, you get a fundi who will come and fix it as best they can. This particular fundi is a tailor so he made me curtains! Total cost for 4 panels: 21,000 TSH = about $19. Seems very cheap, and it is, until you compare that to the average monthly salary, 40,000-70,000. Ooh, then I can hardly believe I've spent that much just on curtains. ... pictures coming!...
Driving: After being in the country for a whole 15 hours I had to/got to drive. :) Thankfully my amazing Tanzanian driving skills are still just as amazing...and I drove with two British girls so I asked them to just remind me every now and then, "Left side ,Carley. Left side!"
:)
cant wait to see pictures! Sounds like your getting along - well - I'm praying for ya!
ReplyDelete