Thursday, November 6

The rain came down and the floods came up...

Yesterday morning about 3:30-4:00am I woke to the sound of a huge resounding BOOOOOM lasting at least 15 seconds and the feel of our house shaking. I was thinking "something crashed, something fell on our house, I am actually going to die! What is going on??" and then curled up in a ball in the middle of my bed.

Then the lightening and rain started. And by rain I mean torrential, hurricane rain. Pouring buckets, raining cats and dogs, drenching rain. And the thunder and lightening continued. Every time I was just drifting off to sleep another thunderclap would startle me awake. My fan stopped which meant the power was out (which in a catch-22 way happens when it rains and when there isn't enough rain). I eventually went back to sleep and woke about 5:30 when I decided I just couldn't be in bed anymore.

It was pitch black except for the bright flashes of lightening when I heard what sounded like a 5-car pile up on the street side of our house.

Another part of our wall had fallen down. And this one right outside my window. I could reach out and almost touch the debris. The water was flooding down the hill, across the road and into our yard. Flooding. It had pushed our wall over, knocking down trees on the way.

Delicia, whose bedroom is above mine, came downstairs and we just looked outside. Being from Florida, I've seen this destruction, this type of rain in the middle of a hurricane. But this was a thunderstorm and there was no wind. It was eerie.

I found out later that morning that the flood waters had knocked down our street side wall, flooded into our compound then, seeking a retreat, knocked down a part of our bottom/back wall also.

But we were still blessed and protected. We are safe. Our homes, our possessions are fine. Had the wall directly in front of my room fallen down, it probably would've knocked a tree into my window. Our house is not flooded. No rain even came in my windows.



The pictures get lighter as they progress. The first ones were taken before dawn.




The view looking through my window.



:)

4 comments:

  1. Things never cease to be interesting. :-) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to the rainy season...although this sounds a worse than usual! I remember those days when everything just turned to mud...our yard at McBrides used to flood when it rained so hard and we used to have to wade through the water to get out. Hope Shabir (is he still the landlord?) gets on top of all of this mess! Just remember...this is africa...

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! That’s the glamorous Tanzanian life for ya!

    Glad you are OK and no flooding in the house...

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow amazing...so totally unreal. TIA!

    ReplyDelete